How to Find a Family Doctor in Alberta
If you are looking for a family doctor, some of the best sources to help you find one is to:
- ASK A FRIEND OR RELATIVE.
- CALL HEALTH LINK ALBERTA AT 1-866-408-5465 (LINK).
- Search the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta (CPSA)’s online database (which allows you to search by location and physicians who are accepting new patients).
- SEARCH THE PRIMARY CARE NETWORKS WEBSITE, ALBERTA FIND A DOCTOR.
Most family doctors are part of a Primary Care Network (groups of health professionals working together to coordinate your health care).
WHY IT’S IMPORTANT TO HAVE A FAMILY DOCTOR
- A family doctor-patient relationship is often times one of the most trusted in health care. It is a relationship that both the doctor and patient have been nurturing since a patient’s first visit—and often the patient’s first encounter with the health care system.
- Family physicians often act as the central hub for managing your health and provide a higher level of continuity of care.
- Family physicians play an important role in health promotion and illness prevention, coordinating care with other specialties and health professionals, and advocating on behalf of their patients with respect to the care and services they need in all other parts of the health care system.